Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Really Love CNY

My favourite time of every year has got to be the Lunar New Year. Christmas comes very close in 2nd place, but really, nothing is really like the Lunar New Year to me. I love the joyous mood & atmosphere that comes along with the Lunar New Year, and red, noisy and happy associated with it.

I think it’s got a lot to do with the happy memories of the festival I grew up with. Both my parents and I are born in Malaysia, so all our relatives still live in different parts of Malaysia even though we migrated to Singapore when I was three years old. When I was a kid, my happiest moments were when we drove back to Malaysia to meet our relatives during the Lunar New Year. Everything about it makes me smile even as I think about it now. The 5-hour drive starts early in the morning at 5am with loud Hokkien songs playing throughout the journey. We would stop at Ayer Tham to buy all kinds of firecrackers (yes still legalised in Malaysia then!), fresh fruits and little gifts for our relatives. When we reached Malaysia, we would go house to house to visit all my Uncles and Aunties whom we meet only once a year, to collect ang pows, eat titbits and play with the cousins and neighbours. It was all very fun.

On some years when we don’t make the trips back to Malaysia during the New Year, my dad and I would be couch potatoes and watch Cantonese drama serials everyday while munching on all kind of CNY goodies. In between, we would go for movies, have nice meals and go shopping. That was very nice too. =)

After I found my then-boyfriend-now-hubby Isaiah, it became an annual tradition that I would join his side of the relatives for New Year luncheon on the 1st day of the New Year. His mother’s sisters and brothers would all gather at their mum’s house for a great feasting, and because the entire clan are Christians, one of the Uncles, who’s a Pastor, would lead us all in a short prayer for blessings in the new year over the family and everyone, before the feasting begins. It was such a nice feeling to have a big family to hang out with during a festival like the Lunar New Year. I just love it.

Now that I have my own kids, hubby and I would bring them to Chinatown every year just to soak into the whole Lunar New Year mood. It’s crowded and very tiring, but definitely something we have to do every year. Appreciation of traditions must start from young. =)

IMG_6993

And so, I’m sure you can understand why as I grew up, the Lunar New Year has always been my favourite festival. It’s closely associated with love, family meals and great time of fellowship. Have a great Lunar New Year, everyone. May it be filled with love and happiness. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment